Dear family,
Well, this week has just flown! I really can't believe how fast it all is...
I'm
not sure what to write about seeing that I saw you only a few days ago!
Hmmm. Well, one adventure I failed to mention is the stick story. We
were walking back to our car after a lesson, and we see this giant stick
protruding from the passenger side of the door. Someone had tried to
break into our car....with a stick... They were unsuccessful but we
found the attempt pretty amusing :) Wish I had thought to take a
picture!
On a more serious note, this week has
really been a humbling one. It seemed that everyone we talked was going
through a really big trial. From a brain tumor to real poverty, we saw
it all this week. What was so amazing to me was their attitude about all
of it. They didn't bemoan their fate or see their life in any sort of
negative light. It was amazing to me. I have been so blessed in my life
with good health, the gospel, a strong family, stable finances, and
educational opportunities. The idea that others didn't have all of that
was something I never thought about before my mission. It has really
opened my eyes. I just want to fix everything and take them out of their
situation and put them in a better! But I can't.. And yet I have seen
just a simple lesson, a scripture, a prayer bring a smile and tears and I
feel like I, in some small way, am helping them. I might not be getting
them out of their situation but I can help them turn to the One who can
make their situation better.
We also went
Christmas caroling, which was really fun. We went to a nursing home and
sang to Sister Rankin. She was "tickled pink" (her expression not mine)
and took us all around the nursing home visiting all her friends. It
just made us feel really good and it was a Christmas miracle, because I
was still struggling with my voice and yet I could sing the carols no
problem! Blessing!
I love you all! It was nice to see you all again!
Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment