Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Daniels' in the Lions' Den

(this letter was actually two weeks ago)
Thanks for all the pictures! Sorry I don't have any this week. It is a constant struggle to remember my camera! You guys look so great!  Lexi is gorgeous! It is making me nervous: she isn't going to make it 18 months before getting hitched! :) Would it be horribly inconvenient if you sent me a physical copy of those pictures? Especially the family ones and Lexi's photoshoot? I have a collage of photos in my room and I would love to add those to it! And congratulations on doing so well on your test Dad! That lady with the allergies sounded hilarious! We have met a few crazies down here too :)
We witnessed so many miracles this week. The Lord has truly protected us. While we were driving a whole herd of deer appeared out of nowhere. Seriously, one second there was nary a deer on the road and the next the entire herd! Sister Brown slammed on the brakes and the weirest thing happened. The car didn't squeak or squeal as the brakes grinded to a stop. It was so calm and peaceful! Despite our previous speed and our sudden stop, I wasn't launched forward or affected in any way! My heart rate didn't quicken at all. The coolest thing was the fact that we didn't hit a single deer. We must have missed the last one by an inch! That same night we came across this huge dog guarding his house. Although it was barking and snarling furiously at us, we just kept walking towards the house and he ran away! This instance happened twice! I felt like Daniel--Daniels in this case-- in the lion's den!
We met a woman named Elizabeth this week. She really opened up to us about her religious beliefs and her many trials. She has had many family members die in the past few years and one was brutally murdered. As I sat there--a 20 year old girl whose life hasn't been marred by evil---and all I could think is: "What am I doing here? How in the world can I relate to her? To console her when I have ansolutely no idea what that feels like?" I talk to people on a daily basis who have suffered true horrors and unimaginable pains. Pains that come in all forms: some physical, others spiritual or emotional. And I sit there--a girl whose greatest sorrow is the fact that she isn't a size 2 anymore--and listen to these sons and daughters of God who have suffered real pains yet believe in Christ and God with all of their hearts. I feel completely inadequate! What can I say to the aunt whose nephew was bludgeoned to death? What can I say to the mother whose son committed suicide and who later found his body? What can I say to the grandmother who is about to lose her grandkids because she can't pay her electricity bill? As I see all the pain in the hearts of men everywhere, the Atonement suddenly becomes far more real to me. Jesus Christ has felt the pains of the whole world. He is the Great Empathizer, and He knows how best to succor His people. And I, I get to talk of Him! I cannot fix their problems or heal their many wound, but Christ can and I have the privilege of representing Him.
We were checking on an investigator this week, when her neighbor came out and said that she needed us. It turns out that she was contemplating suicide and was praying for help. Then we turned up. She kept saying things like: "I know God loves me, because He sent these two girls when I prayed for help" and similar variations. It was just a simple thing. We just had to show up. We didn't even need to say anything. Just the fact that God sent two of His representatives was enough. Isn't that incredible? We hadn't even gone to that neighborhood for her, but God knew that she was hurting and wanted to help her... and He used us! He truly does use the "small and simple things" to bring to pass His work!
One of the funny instances of the week occurred with the mailman. He was delivering packages to one of our investigators when we pulled up. He came over--all four feet five inches of him-- in his perfectly pressed pants, polished shoes, and tailored button down and said, "I am going to tell you something that you probably aren't going to like." All I could think was, "Oh no here it comes." I was expecting something about the gay movement or at the very least ppolygamy. I was not expecting praise about our skirts as he proudly proclaimed, "It is nice to see young women wearing dresses." He then marched off to his little mail car, leaving Sister Brown and me holding back laughter. Little does he know that I am ditching these dresses in approximately 15 months!
We have really become a part of the town here, and I love it. EVERY ONE knows us: the postmaster, the mailman, the grocery stocker, all fifteen policemen, etc. I feel like a Gilmore girl in Stars Hollow!
Are we from the South? Daniels is one of the most common names down here! People keep trying to figure out if we are related!
Love you guys!
Sister Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment