Monday, November 18, 2013


Dear family,
This has been a pretty incredible week! We saw so many miracles. One happened just today! The computers in the library were all being used, so we went to get my fingerprints done before emailing (also the reason I called the mission office to call you because I didn't get the email yet). (if she had read the email first she would not have gone to do her fingerprints, no coincidences!)  I know that is exactly where the Lord wanted us to go! We really needed to meet the woman who did my fingerprints. Her mother had recently passed and the preacher of her church was very unsupportive, which left a bad taste in her mouth of church. We got to share a message with her! God truly puts people in our paths that need the gospel. We just have to be willing to open our mouths and share it!
The best of this week: Elder Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to visit the South Carolina mission! Not only did I get to be in the same chapel as an apostle, but I got to shake hands with him!! We had a three hour discussion with him and it was truly one of the best moments of my life. I had fasted and prayed that this meeting would change me and that I would walk out of that meeting a changed person. And I think I did! I came into the meeting expecting a lecture or talk with maybe a little Q&A at the end, but the entire thing was Q&A with the missionaries--for the most part--asking and answering the questions. It was incredible to watch Elder Bednar help others come to their own answers and conclusions by asking them questions in return that guided them to their own answer. He was showing us by example the way we should teach our investigators. He didn't come in with anything prepared. We picked the subject and topics by the questions we asked. I had never seen anything like it. I learned as much form my fellow missionaries as I did from the apostle! The Spirit in that chapel was so strong. I don't even have the words to describe it. I usually get a warm, burning feeling in my heart or a sense of peace when I feel the Spirit, but this was different. It felt more tangible somehow; it made everything so clear. I know I am not doing it justice at all, but it was exactly what I had prayed for: life-changing. Elder Bednar focused a lot on the story of Peter walking on water to get to Christ. It took so much faith for Peter to leave the safety and security of the boat--the thing he knew and understood, the thing his very livelihood depended. But he did! He wasn't completely successful. He didn't run elegantly to the Savior. He took a few steps tottering towards the Savior before he became distracted by the monstrous waves and started to sink. As he started to sink--and this I think is a key point-- he did not turn back to the boat. He did not turn back! He looked to Jesus Christ to save him. We all have our own boats--things that we cling to and depend on--but we will never reach the Savior unless we leave the boat. We may falter, but Christ will be there to grasp our struggling hands and pull us back up. I got to thinking, "What is my boat? What are my waves? What is keeping me from trusting only on the Savior? What is distracting me from Him?" I won't go into any details about what I came up with, but I believe my boat and the waves will be different at different stages of my life. I think it is something we should all ask ourselves, to help us evaluate where our priorities are. Elder Bednar focused more on, "JUMP OUT OF THE BOAT." The boat he referred to for us is "the script." We rely too much on the lessons, on the bells & whistles, and the cute little hand outs. These things are all nice, but they are not the most important thing. Teaching by the Spirit is of far greater value, and in order to do that we have to leave the boat of perfectly planned lessons and speak as the Spirit directs. That is the only way for us and our investigators to take those steps towards the Savior!
We had a companion exchange this week. I went up to Conway to work with Sister Andersen. It was really wonderful opportunity to learn what I need to do to improve. On the exchange, I got to meet Sister Whitesides, who served a mission in Brazil and speaks Portuguese!!!!! She helped me so much with pronunciation and other questions that I had. She bore her testimony in Portuguese and I understood most of it! I taught a brief lesson and said the prayer in Portuguese. I was a little rusty! She also talked about Brazil and her experiences there. It got me really excited, which is something I needed. I love South Carolina. I didn't want to leave. I was actually praying that my visa would not come! But this conversation changed my whole outlook. It made me excited to go to Brazil. I am not so nervous. I know that God will place me where He needs me and I was so blessed to be needed in the two best missions on earth: South Carolina and Brazil!
I find out on Friday if I received my visa! If I did not, I will be guaranteed to stay in South Carolina for at least 6 more weeks!
Tell the boys, "Good luck on their games" for me!
I love your Christmas box idea! You spoil me, but I'm not complaining at all :) If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind including a CD or two of Christmas songs and some Christmas decorations? It just doesn't feel like Christmas when Christmas songs haven't been playing since September ;)
Love you guys so much!
Sister Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment