Monday, November 25, 2013


Dear family,
 
I haven't received my visa yet, which means that I will be in South Carolina for the next 6 weeks! If it comes any time during the next six weeks--which I think it will--I will be leaving for Brazil after the six weeks are up. The best part: I get to stay here for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
 
We also got a phone call from President Holm and he asked Sister Brown and I to be sister training leaders. AHH! I am so nervous. I don't feel like I am at all ready for this. I just finished being trained and feel like I have so much more to learn before being put in any kind of leadership position. Sister training leaders go on exchanges every week with other sisters and are supposed to help and encourage them. They teach by example. They also do trainings in front of huge groups of missionaries. I feel so inadequate! I know that God has called me to this position and He will strengthen me, but it still scary. Sister Brown has been a sister training leader before and has given me a lot of advice. I also studied various leaders in the scriptures and what made them good leaders. King Benjamin helped me a lot! I think it all comes down to just loving those missionaries and making them feel important. If you have any advice on being a good and loving leader, I would really appreciate it! President Holm also told us that Sister Gearheart, another Brazil visa waiter, will be joining Sister Brown and me! We will be a threesome. I am a little bit nervous to be in a trio again, because it is so much harder than just having the two of us. I am excited, too, because Sister Gearheart was with me in the MTC! Her Portuguese is really good, so hopefully she will prepare me for Brazil!
 
The Lord really blessed us this week. I had a strong impression to knock one particular house. We knocked it twice and rang the doorbell, but no one came. We walked away and were halfway down the street when we heard the door open. We waved and she shut the door, which made us think that she wasn't too interested. We thought, "Oh well," and kept walking, but the impression to knock it again just wouldn't leave me, so we turned around. We knocked again and rang the doorbell and thank goodness we did! This sweet woman opened the door and she knew one of the members of our branch, Sister Weathford. Sister Weatherford had completely changed the life of this woman's daughter and she was so grateful. She wanted to learn more about the church that such a kind person belonged to! God is truly preparing people. Our example softens the hearts of the people around us to hear the message of the restored gospel. We also helped a woman rake her yard. This small act of service really opened her heart. She introduced us to all of her neighbors, who invited us to come and teach them. Miracles!
 
Another miracle: We had planned to knock a certain area, but we got a little turned around. We ended up in a totally different area! It turned out to exactly where we needed to be. At the very first house that we knocked on, we met a wonderful couple. They are Baptists and had so many wonderful questions. We introduced the Book of Mormon and talked about modern-day prophets. The woman was suprised to see us so happy and excited about our message and really wanted to read the Book of Mormon to see what all this happiness was about!
 
We were teaching a woman and she had the funniest analogy. She said, "People are microwaves, but we serve a crock pot God." We want things NOW. We seek instant gratification, but God doesn't always work that way. It is all about His timing. Often trials come and they last a long time, and we can't understand why, but God is turning us into someone so much greater, someone so much more refined. We can be so much more than a microwave dinner :) I just thought this analogy was so funny, especially before she explained it! 
 
The world is such a small place! Elder Corbridge is the father of the son who is dating my old companion, Sister Houston. He wrote, "The Fourth Missionary," which has changed my whole attitude about my mission and being a missionary. Fun fact: he really likes Disney world.
 
I love you all so much! I hope you have fun at Grandma's house this Thanksgiving. I am so grateful to be born of such goodly parents! I hope I get your packages tomorrow. I'm really, really excited for it :)
 
Love y'all!
Sister Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment