Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week Four!

Oi!! 

I have been in the MTC for almost a month! Isn't that absolutely crazy? I'm disappointed that I only have 17 months left! It's going to go by so quickly! 

The cabinets look incredible! I think they really brightened up the kitchen! I am so proud of you and Dad for going with the missionaries to visit Tracy! Way to charge forward :) I love all of your letters but the one you sent on Sundayreally touched my heart! For one, you called me one of your "prized possessions" and who wouldn't want that? :) Serious tear jerker right there... I thought the stories were really inspiring and makes my sacrifice seem rather diminiative! I am really excited to meet people and to fill their empty cups with the love God and Christ have for them! I took that knowledge for granted most of my life, but NOT ANYMORE! 

I received a letter from my mission president's wife...IN PORTUGUESE. I have a sneaking suspicion that she doesn't speak a word of English, which is going to make things interesting if I ever get to Brazil! I have been reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese every day and let me tell you it is sloooowww going, but I do get a little faster and reference the dictionary a little less each day. I'm learning a lot! It is actually suprising how much of the language I learn just from reading the scriptures every day! Someone will ask "What does ________ mean?" and I can tell them because I learned it from the Book of Mormon! Elder Cobb said that a general authority had promised that we will be fluent by the time we finish it! My goal is to finish by Christmas! I'm counting on the fact that I will get faster at some point :) I also read a talk in Portuguese from Richard G. Scott and I understood almost every word. MUCH easier to understand than the Book of Mormon. I, actually, have an easier time speaking Portuguese and reading it than understanding someone else speak it. Being a visual learner, I actually have to write out the words in my head when I hear them and then just read them back to myself. The problem comes when the way a word sounds does not match the way it looks. Like when a "d" goes to a "g" sound or an "r" to an "h". Then I write it wrong in my head and then of course don't recognize it because it isn't spelled the right way! Also, we had a guest teacher from Brazil talk to us about....phonics and pronunciation. 

O_o

My two favorite things, no? Needless to say I am going to have the strongest American accent out of my district! I just hope Brazilians find my accent endearing. "Poor girl. At least she is trying!" is a phrase I think I will hear quite often :) 

We started today (and last P-day) going to the temple. Can't think of a better way to start my day! I loved the new film! I thought they portrayed the relationship between Adam and Eve far more realistically. They were the only people on earth--of course they are going to be fond of each other! And I like that this film showed it! Anyway last Tuesday was probably the best day I have had at the MTC. The temple trip was truly inspiring and brought the Spirit into my day and it just kept growing throughout the day! I felt it during personal study and during choir practice, but it was during the devotional that my heart felt as if it was burning with the Spirit. Elder Richard G. Scott came and spoke to us!!!!! ELDER RICHARD G. SCOTT (my second favorite apostle, I might add) WAS IN THE SAME ROOM AS US AND SPOKE TO US!! The love he had for us was so palpable. After he finished his talk and as he was walking out, he kept turning around and yelling out phrases like "Be good!" and "We love you!" It was as if he didn't want to leave. I didn't want to leave either! His talk--unlike others we have received at the MTC--was not energetic, invigorating, or particularly forceful. His talk did not leave me with the overwhelming desire to grab my weapon (ie. Book of Mormon) and march in a "one-two--three- four" formation across the world singing "We are All Enlisted", but it was powerful nonetheless. He was quiet and bore his testimony of prayer. It was so sincere that the Spirit was able to piercce the hearts of every person in that room. He did it without flair. He did it without clever analogies or multimedia presentations. He didn't need them for he had the Holy Ghost and every single person in that room knew it. He gave us an apostolic blessing that we will receive the gift of tongues and the guidance of the Lord according to our faith and diligence. How cool is that?! Our MTC president said he had only heard a few apostolic blessings in his life and that we should write it down and never forget it! This talk was something special. It truly felt that the words were coming from God. As he finished his prepared talk, he paused. I'm sure the translators and prompters threw their hands up in frustration at this point, because for the last ten minutes he did not go by a script. He said he felt his wife in the room although she had been dead for almost 20 years! I think every person-Elder and Sister- teared up at this point! He talked about prayer and our missions. He said every good thing that occurred in his life happened because he served a mission! He said that prayer was not something trivial and that we should share our deepest feelings with the Lord through prayer. He said that God answers us in three ways and that one of those ways is by not answering us. This form often leaves us frustrated or feeling alone, but he said that it means He trusts us to make the right decision on our own. I'll have to remember that next time I t feel like I haven't received an answer! I really tried to take this talk to heart. I went home and prayed for a long time. Longer than I have probably ever prayed before. I tried to talk to God differently than before and really tried to listen to Him as I prayed. And I can definitely say that God answers prayers! I felt as if a blanket of love and comfort completely surrounded me. It felt so real and tangible, but when I opened my eyes no one was there! I think my relationship with my Father in Heaven is growing so much and I am really excited about it! 

Can you tell Grandma that I got her letter and loved it? It was my first hand-written letter! I hope her and Grandpa are doing well and that the storehouse isn't wearing them out too much! 

How is the job hunt for Dean and Shane?

Blake! 
I loved your letter! Except that part about Jack loving you more than me... :) It sounds like you went to the pool more this week than I will in more than two years! Congratulations on the the new "knot-tying" skills! Not as good at numchuck skills, but definitely a step in the right direction ;) I heard you are going to be getting braces soon. I bet you are just loving that, huh? Take consolation in the fact that I might have to get braces when I get back and I will be in college! Good luck saving up all that money for a gun! It better be the gun of the century for all this work! Love you Blake! 

Anyway, I love you guys so much! I love receiving your letters and hearing about your lives! 

Sister Daniels 

No comments:

Post a Comment