Friday, August 2, 2013

1st Letter Home!


Oi, minha familia!
Thank you! Thank you!  Thank you! I LOVED getting your letters and the packages. Seriously, it felt like Christmas. I also loved the letter you wrote for me. I read it on the plane and bawled the whole time. The poor guy next to me looked thoroughly baffled and uncomfortable!
The MTC is hard, but I've begun to realize that all the best things are. We were expected to give a lesson the Fridayafter we got here.... in only Portuguese! At that time I could barely say, "My name is", so I think you can understand just how daunting that task felt! My companion and I prayed and studied and planned out the most basic lesson in existence--he's Hindu so we started with there is one God. Such a simple truth that I often forget that some people don't know it. We practiced with our teacher before talking to the investigator. During the practice my companion did so much more talking than I did and seemed to know so much more Portuguese and I'll admit. I was envious and even a little mad that she monopolized the conversation. I believe these thoughts took the Spirit away completely from our companionship, which is why I think we struggled so much during the first lesson. When the time finally arrived for us to teach Rajen, we walked to that his all imposing door and knocked. It was definitely one of the greatest acts of faith I have probably ever had to do. I was so nervous and scared and trying desperately  to remember how to say 'we are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.' The door opened and I didn't faint, which is probably a good sign! We started with basic questions in the effort to get to know him and to find out what how the gospel can specifically apply to him. While we did manage to voice our questions (albeit in the style that resembles an ignorant caveman with less than a rudimentary grasp of language), we both merely gaped as he opened his mouth and flooded the room with perfect Portuguese. So that's what it sounds like! Anyway I understood maybe one out of twenty words and could merely nod, say "It's all good" in Portuguese, and quietly die inside. My companion and I finally shared our message after bouts of awkward silence, stuttering, and painful "help me" looks to each other. I know the Spirit wasn't there because of the negative thoughts I had had towards my companion. During the lesson I even felt a grim satisfaction that she made more mistakes than I and forgot what she was supposed to say. How horrible and un-Christlike! No wonder the Spirit wasn't there and we were left floundering! I'm embarrassed to even tell you, but I learned an important lesson that day. I made the decision right there that I would love my companion and to think of only her positive attributes. Our next lesson was fantastic. The exact opposite of our first. My companion and I studied so much and prayed for the Spirit and to know what our investigator needed. We practiced and tried to listen to each other's points of view. There was no animosity at all and the lesson went so well! We got our message across, understood most of what he said, and felt the Spirit strongly the entire time! AHHHH! Our investigator even complimented us on our grasp of Portuguese and said he felt something. SO MUCH HAPPINESS RIGHT NOW! I left that room practically skipping with joy. My companion and I looked at each other with the cheesiest and biggest smiles in the world, squealed, and gave each other a hug. God will help us after all we can do! I know He will! And now is definitely the time in my life that I am relying on Him the most. I think I'm getting the language pretty good. I'm really good with the vocabulary and know words and phrases better than some who have been here a lot longer. Hopefully that continues! My district is FANTASTIC. Everyone is so strong in the gospel and are so dedicated. They have such amazing insights to share and seem to have a close relationship with their Savior. And these are 18 and 19 year olds! It's an impressive sight and I know they are going to do amazing things in the mission field. My heart seems to be constantly on fire. I have never felt the Spirit so strongly and so constantly before in my life! I feel as if my heart will burst with happiness and yet it always seems to grow to accommodate it! I also thought you were truly inspired to send the scripture in 1 Nephi and the C.S. Lewis quote. I don't have time to go into details, but it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I also loved Dad''s advice on the MTC. It appears to be a veritable roller coaster of emotions. There are good and bad days, but I really feel that this is where I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to be doing!
Tell Caden I miss his sassy self and that of course I remember him! (Although I wish he would forget that horrible nickname ie Gertrude). His letter cracked me up and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Life in the MTC is hard, but awesome. I am not the best in my class, but I hold my own. How was the birthday?
I have been trying to eat healthy and I think I've lost quite a bit of weight. I don't have access to a scale, but I think I'm down at least 10 pounds! It helps that my roommate likes to run and work out and since she can't do it without me by her side I have to drag my out of shape self after her. Good luck on the health challenge. I think I''m going to have you all beat :)
The boys birthday sounds like a blast! Don't forget to send pictures!
G sent me a "Dear Elder" letter but I don't have her email! Will you tell her thank for me? It meant a lot. Oh, and tell Barret that Sisters can play basketball, too, but not with the Elders and that we can't keep score. Don't want it to get too competitive :) Oh and tell Barret not to steal Jack. He is MINE!!
I love you guys so much and pray for you everyday. I miss you and hope you are getting a plethora of blessings!
Sister Daniels
Her companion Sister Anna Nielsen





Two best friends saying farewell!

Aunt Ellie and Nichole to stand in for me!

Car turning into the MTC--no going back now!!

These little squirts will look a lot different when she gets back!

No comments:

Post a Comment