Monday, October 6, 2014


Dearest family,
GENERAL CONFERENCE!!!! Wasn't it the best?? I've really enjoyed general conference in the past but it is something really special as a missionary. I think it's because my whole life is devoted to the things of God. I pray and read my scriptures daily (like all day every day kinda daily). I am talking about God and to God constantly. My testimony is stronger than it has ever been, so I think I am more responsive to the things of the spirit. It was a very revelatory experience for me.
Confession: I sometimes have doubts and questions about the restored gospel and I feel guilty for having them. I feel like it means my testimony isn't strong, but someone in a Saturday session said that it is okay to have doubts and questions. Joseph Smith did. He said when we do have doubts, we need to take the time to study it out and pray to the Lord. I have discovered that instead of making my testimony weak, doubts--and the insuing search for answers--  have strengthened it. Some of my most spiritual, testimony-building experiences have come during a quest to find the answers to the questions I have. I have learned that the Lord doesn't condemn the honest seeker of truth. He never did. I think that some of the strongest disciples the Lord has is not those who have lived with an absense of doubts, but those who had them, sought earnestly to overcome them, and came out more sure and steadfast of the gospel than ever before. It is because of my earnest, sincere desire to know for myself that I have a testimony of the restored gospel. I know that Joseph Smith was called by God and Jesus Christ to bring back the fulness of the gospel. I know it, because I have prayed earnestly to know it. I know God answers our prayers and wants to guide us in our lives. I know that the prophets and apostles that spoke to us yesterday were called of God and receive revelation directly from Him.
Y'all asked about our investigators so here is a quick summary of the main ones:
Danie: Southern Baptist who has a Mormon friend and who is trying very hard to be open to another way of thinking than the one she was raised with
Kay: a 28 year-old Bulgarian who speaks English, German, and Bulgarian. She's pretty much the coolest person ever. There was a long period in her life (ten years) that she turned away from God because of the trials that she has gone through, but has--within the last year--made a complete turn around and wants us to help her come even closer
Scott and Dee: very faithful Lutherans who have enough questions to keep us busy during studies looking for the answers; they are a really wonderful couple though who have a good Spirit about them and who are very receptive to the Spirit we bring too 
James and Jaqua: a middle-aged couple who just moved here from Maryland; very open to the message about Joseph Smith because they "don't want to put God in a box" (reminded me a little bit about Ceira urging us to think "outside the box" and gave me a good chuckle :))
I love you all so much!
Sis D
P.S. I can't send pictures on these computers so I will have to send them through snail mail. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment