Dear Mom and Pops,
Things are going great here on James Island! The highlight for the week: MONA WAS BAPTIZED! It was so stressed out that I could barely enjoy it! I haven't had to plan a baptism before all by myself, but I had to this time because my companion is new and didn't know any of the members. The morning of the baptism we had gone over to a member's home to paint their house. We thought we were only going to be there for an hour. Two and a half hours later, we finally get out of there and have to rush our sweaty, gross, and paint-splattered selves over to the church. The ward missionary leader had made the programs, but he had spelled her last name wrong, so we were forced to get creative and to somehow make an e look like an a, which is easier said than done! But as soon as the baptismal program started, the Spirit came. It was so amazing to see a person that I have come to love make this special promise to God. Gosh, it sure is great to be a missionary!
We also had Sisters Conference this week. All the sisters in the SCCM attend the conference, so I got to see my past companions! I love those girls like crazy! I haven't seen Sister Brown for months, and all I wanted to do was talk to her. Companions are just special. They see your worst and your best. They help you on the hard days and rejoice in your accomplishments. I hadn't had many friends before I went to college, and I think it is because I simply didn't want them. I put no effort into developing relationships with anyone in high school, and it wasn't until I went to college that I realized just how much I was missing. I don't know why, but the Lord has blessed me--the cold fish!--with so many true friends, but I am so grateful for it. I've learned that love is a renewable resource. There will never be a time when I will have no more capacity to love. Isn't that cool?? I think one of the most important purposes in this life is to develop relationships and I have been blessed beyond measure to develop strong relationships with so many people on my mission. And I love my dear companions not for what they have accomplished or how pretty or successful they are but just for who they are! I think it is a glimmer, if ever so slight, of the love that God has for everyone.
I miss you all. I like developing friendships with others, but it reminds me so much of the family I have left behind. And that is hard sometimes. Y'all are just too special to be away from for prolonged periods! It is a good thing I love being a missionary so much, because otherwise it would simply be unbearable! But I love you and I love getting your emails. I print each of them out and read it throughout the week so it is like you talk to me all the time!
One of the members in our ward, Brother Miller, is a pharmacy student, but more importantly a returned missionary from Brazil! We went over to their home last Monday and taught the Restoration in Portuguese! Well, I spoke in Portuguese and Brother Miller spoke in Portuguese. Sister Stanley and Sister Miller spoke in English, so it was a little bit of a English/Portuguese remix of the Restoration :) It was so fun! He told me all about his mission and gave me some advice. He said I did well and that he was suprised at how much I knew, since it had been so long since I have spoken with anyone. I have a strong suspicion that he was just being nice and didn't want to completely destroy my confidence, but I'll take it!
Love,
Sis D
No comments:
Post a Comment