Dear family,
This has been such a wonderful week! I love the Charleston ward and getting to know all the members. Our Bishop is dynamite. He gives a 110% to his calling, works full-time, and homeschools one of his kids. I don't know how the man sleeps! He has really been an inspiration to me though. I will never turn down a calling. If he can do it with that kind of schedule, then I can too!
I've really thought a lot about being busy. We meet quite a few people who are just too busy right now. They are too busy to come to church. They are too busy to read their scriptures. People everywhere are busy, and yet we are all busy doing things that don't really matter. I think that is one of Satan's best tools: to distract us from those things that matter most with things that are insignificant and paltry. I am so grateful for my mission. It has shown me where my priorities should be. I've also learned not to sweat the small stuff. Thank goodness, because I think I already did my share of that in high school :)
We met a less-active named Grant Staley this week. He is a Spanish professor at the Citadel. He went on a mission way back in the day when there was a "Central American mission." He went to almost all the countries in South America! Isn't that just crazy? I wonder what kind of accent he eventually picked up... Anyway he had a Portuguese dictionary on his desk, so I told him about my predicament and offered to say the prayer in Portuguese. He loved it! He really opened up to us, which is awesome because he wasn't too thrilled to see missionaries the last time that they tried! He was really excited, so I think we are going to teach him the lessons in Portuguese! Maybe he is the reason I am still here, eh?? He used to be the High Priest group leader, but he fell away after his wife left him. We hope to rekindle that testimony that he once had. I love getting to know so many people and I love that I get to hear their stories. I love how varied and unique the human experience is. All of us will have a story to tell when we get up to heaven and I just can't wait to hear them all!
Michael and Mona came to church again! Fifth time in a row! I am so happy for them. I love seeing their countenances change. It is the absolute best! Bishop used Michael and Mona's story as an example of what we should do. He said that we had done a great job involving the ward. It is so wonderful to hear that! It is always nice to have some validation for our work. I was pratically beaming by the end of ward council :) It has really stregthened the trust the ward has in us, and more and more people are wanting to come out with us.
I am really happy! I love being a missionary! I love Charleston!
Thank you so much for the jokes, Pops! So funny! I can't wait to share them with Sister Davis. I'm sure we will get a kick out of them. We also got the Valentine's Day package! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so excited for that Garmin, I can't even tell you. We also enjoyed the chocolates. Very quickly :)
I love you all so much! I am grateful for all the letters and packages. You all are the best part of my life and I am anxious to see y'all again :)
Sister Daniels
No comments:
Post a Comment