I finally received your letters! I was so excited! It turns out that Dear Elder takes longer because it sends them from Provo, Utah. Who knew?? Anyway feel free to write nice long emails or handwritten letters. I would much rather read than write :) Sister Jackson's family writes on Monday and then it gets to her by Friday. So maybe we can try that?
I can't believe I have been on my mission for over 2 months! The time just flies by here. I think it is because I am always so busy! I also can't believe I am 20. Time is just going by too fast!
Anyway this week has been crazy. One of our investigators called us--completely wasted--and asked us to come over. We went over to cheer her up. It turns out she spent the night in jail and now thinks she is a bad girl. I have never been around a drunk person for very long and was surprised by how childlike she acted. When the alcohol had robbed her of social cues and boundaries, it was interesting to see what rational thoughts remained. Her night in jail, her drinking problem, whether or not we were her friends, Jesus Christ, and the question "Why are people so against the Mormons?" were the subjects that stayed. It was so interesting that Mormons were on the forefront of her thoughts. She said her sister had told her to stop meeting with us and had taken her Book of Mormon away. It was a crazy and out of the ordinary experience and I am not even sure if she will remember any of it, but it got me thinking. What would I say if I was that far gone? What thoughts would the alcohol be unable to erase? I hope it would be Christ. I hope I would talk of Jesus Christ with the love and trust that Jeannie did. Jeannie has her problems--mostly alcohol--but she has such a strong faith in Christ. I wish I could just take the alcohol away and force her to give it up, but I can't. I bet it is so hard for Heavenly Father to see some of the choices we make with our agency. It is hard enough for me!
One of the miracles that we had this week happened on Friday. During the afternoon we got stuck. Appointments had fallen through and our back-up plans didn't feel right. We pulled over and said a prayer that we would be guided where we needed to go and who we should see. We sat there for a few minutes after the prayer. Eventually I felt prompted to suggest Sister Brown. There was no logical reason. She is an active member and we had already received a bunch of referrals from her last week, but Sister Jackson and Sister Houston said they were thinking of her too! So off we went to her apartment. As we pulled in, we didn't see her car. I was so disappointed, because I thought this is where the Spirit had prompted us to go! But then in the parking lot we met Glenn! He is a professor of psychology and is looking for a new church. WHAT?! He wants to learn more about "Mormonism" as he puts it. We talked to him for almost an hour right there in the parking lot! If we hadn't felt prompted to go right then, we would have missed him completely. If we had pulled in even a minute later or five minutes earlier we would have missed him! We had already knocked those apartments and it is unlikely we would knock them again for a long time, but I guess God really wanted us to meet and talk to Glenn!
Anyway I love you guys! Have a great week!
Sister Daniels
Morgan's first baptism. Her name is Taneychia (TT) and she has these adorable girls. Morgan said they actually love her even though the picture does not convey that! Morgan's companions Sister Houston and Sister Jackson. She said they are exactly want she needed. She is learning so much from them.
The Florence library and one of her favorite buildings in Florence!
No comments:
Post a Comment